What is better than a regular sugar cookie at the holidays? An almond sugar cookie, of course! We are in the kitchen today and I cannot wait to share this mouth watering cookie recipe, which has proven to be a real crowd pleaser among our family and friends!
Click here for the pdf for this recipe:: Best Almond Sugar Cookies
The Best Almond Sugar Cookies
House of Valentina
Almond Sugar Cookies ::
1 cup butter (2 sticks), 250 g softened
1/2 cup sugar, 115g
1 large egg
1 tablespoon almond extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 800g
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Colored sugar crystals, edible glitter, sprinkles, small round candies, and/or gumdrops (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175°C). In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat butter and sugar until blended. Increase speed to high; beat until light and creamy. At low speed, beat in egg, vanilla, and lemon juice. Beat in flour, baking powder, and nutmeg just until blended.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces; flatten each into a disk. Wrap each disk with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or until dough is firm enough to roll. (Or, place dough in freezer 30 minutes.)
- On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll 1 piece of dough 1/8 inch thick. With floured 3- to 4-inch assorted cookie cutters, cut dough into as many cookies as possible; wrap and refrigerate trimmings. Place cookies, 1 inch apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough and trimmings.
- When cookies are cool, prepare Buttercream Icing if you like; use to decorate cookies as desired. While frosting is still wet, sprinkle with sugar crystals or glitter, or attach sprinkles, candies, and/or gumdrops if you like. Set cookies aside to allow frosting to dry completely, about 1 hour. Store cookies in tightly covered container (with waxed paper between layers, if decorated) at room temperature up to 2 weeks, or in freezer up to 3 months.
Almond Buttercream Icing::
1/2 c Shortening, 100g
1/2c Butter softened, 125g
4 c powdered sugar sifted, 500g
1/2tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract.
- Cream butter and shortening until light and fluffy.
- Slowly beat in powdered sugar until combined.
- Add in extracts and milk, adding more milk if necessary to obtain desired consistency.